Try some of these
great DIY Pie recipes
For 12 Standard Shells Or 22 Small Shells Or 6 Standard Shells and 12 Small Shells
300g minced meat of your choice (Mutton, Lamb, Pork, Beef, Turkey, and Chicken)
1 pack of our special seasoning mix
Lids to suit (see our simple, tasty and fun lid recipe!)
See our simple,
tasty and fun lid recipe!
Traditional Scotch Pie
1. Place the meat in a mixing bowl
2. Add the pack of seasoning to the meat and mix until the meat and seasoning are thoroughly mixed together – you can use a wooden spoon to do this, but using your hands is more fun!
3. Pour in the water and mix again, breaking up the meat – don’t worry about the consistency, it should look quite wet and runny just now, so that’s fine!
4. Leave the mixture to stand for 10-15 mins, it will absorb the water you added and become less runny. (Now is a good time to heat up your oven to 220 Degrees Celsius, 430Degrees Fahrenheit, Gas Mark 7)
5. Give the mixture one last stir and fill your DIY Scotch Pie Shells to just over half-way, using up all the mixture.
6. Place the shells on a baking tray, ready for lidding.
7. Lid the shells: quickly submerge each lid in water and place on top of the mixture in the shells.
8. Nip the lids against the inside of the shells, just under the rim, all the way around – this ensures that the mixture in the shells remains moist and that the lid will stay in place during cooking.
9. Ensure that the pies are not touching each other on the baking tray, and then place them in the oven on the middle shelf.
10. Cook for 15 minutes (by now, the glorious aroma of baking pies should be filling your kitchen!), turn the tray round and cook for another 15 mins.
11. You will know the pies are ready when the lids and the bases are golden brown. The filling will be bubbling hot. The smell will be irresistible – enjoy!!